Workshop Fee: $300.00
Materials Fee: None
d3.js is the most powerful tool for data visualizations on the web, yet it has a bit of a reputation for being hard to learn. This workshop will help you clear those initial conceptual hurdles, so after, all of D3's crazy syntax will make perfect sense, guaranteed. Also, in the BYOD portion, we will take participants' actual data and walk through an example project or two, to illustrate how you might approach a real-world D3 project, start to finish.
Confused by d3.js? Interested in coding data visualizations on the web, but don't know where to start? The first half of this workshop will have you transforming data into visual images in no time at all, starting from scratch and building an interactive scatterplot by the end of the session.
The second half of this workshop is BYOD — Bring Your Own Data. You provide a data set, and together we'll go step-by-step through how to get your data into D3 and create something visual with it.
Skill Level: Intro
• Intro to D3
• Selecting and creating elements
• SVG images and elements
• Transitions and scales
• We'll survey the class, discuss hopes and dreams (and data)
• Working with some participants' data, we'll walk through an example project or two together
What to Bring
• Laptop (Mac, Windows, or Linux are all cool)
• A current web browser (Chrome, ideally)
• Your favorite text or code editor (like Sublime, or Brackets)
• If possible, a local web server (like MAMP or WAMP or a Python server), but don't sweat it if this sounds cryptic (we'll talk about it in person)
• A data set that you are excited to explore and represent, ideally in a single file in CSV or JSON format